OCMC News - 2010 OCMC Efforts in Turkana
In an effort to assist the Orthodox priests serving in Turkana with spreading the Gospel, OCMC has committed to several initiatives that speak to both the physical and spiritual needs of the Turkana people. OCMC's 2010 efforts will cost in upwards of 75,000 dollars and include the following:
- Sending a group of people to teach the newly baptized and those interested in Christianity about the Orthodox Christian Faith.
- Helping local clergy to expand the Orthodox church to new non-Christian village(s).
- Building a bore hole (water well) in the village of Loupwala.
- Assisting with St. John Nursery school in Lodwar.
- Completing the construction of a church in Lodwar begun by an OCMC Team in 2008.
- Strategizing with local clergy on how to expand Orthodox Christianity to unreached people in the region.
- Beginning the recruitment of short and long-term mission personnel to serve among the Turkana.
- Preparing for the construction of new parishes in remote villages where a majority of the people are new Christians.